CSG/CRDS Update & U.S. Refund Claim

CSG/CRDS Update & Possible U.S. Individual Income Tax Refund Claim:

Dear Clients and Potential Clients,

We are pleased to anounce The Commissioner of the Internal Revenue Service no longer asserts that taxpayers are precluded from claiming contribution sociale généralisée (“CSG”) and contribution pour le remboursement de la dette sociale (“CRDS”) foreign tax credits. Please find the full Joint Status Report outlining the victory from Eshel case here.

We would like to thank our clients for their financial contributions and support during this decade long legal saga. We would also like to thank Stuart Horwich for his outstanding work, which lead to the case’s success.

What this means to you:

If you are an American and worked in France between the years 2009 and 2018, you may be entitled to up to 10 years of tax refunds.

Horton Tax Services has been actively involved in resolving this issue since its inception. Since the Court of Appeals remanded the Eshel case, HTS clients have successfully filed numerous amended returns to receive refunds by claiming CSG/CRDS as a creditable tax.

If you think these credits may apply to your situation, we ask that you please complete and return the attached questionnaire to taxhelp@hortontaxservices.com Our HTS staff will review your data and determine your eligibility. We will not charge clients for this initial analysis.

For additional information, please read Stuart Horwich’s press release and an acticle on the Eshel case in Bloomberg.

Best regards,
Horton Tax Services

What is the due date for the U.S. return? Should I apply for an extension?

The deadline for filing a U.S. tax return is typically April 15, and Americans residing in the United States must file by April 15th,  an extension of time to file (Form 4868). Taxpayers who file an extension request timely can receive an extension through October 15.

Americans who are abroad on April 15 receive an automatic extension through June 15, and may file an extension of time to file through that date. Americans living abroad can receive an additional extension to December 15.

Horton Tax Services automatically files extensions for our current client list on April 15, June 15, and October 15, in order to allow us time to complete all of our clients’ tax returns. If we have completed your prior year U.S. tax return, you are automatically on our extension list for the current year return, and do not need to contact us or do anything in order to receive an extension.

If we have not previously completed your tax return, or if we completed your return in prior years, please call or email us before April 1 to make sure you are on our current extension list. You may also file your own extension by the appropriate deadline and provide us with a copy so we may complete your tax return.

Click here to download Form 4868 (Extension of time to file)